Saturday, October 20, 2012

My Health Screening


After much procrastination, I finally feel compelled to get myself a thorough medical check-up. My last health check-up was in 2008. I should be getting a medical check-up once in two years but you know, I was just too paranoid of the cold hospital atmosphere, test results, and the smell of medicines. So a week ago, I made appointment with the executive health screening centre at Sime Darby Medical Centre (SDMC) and finally I am getting it done after much persuasion by mom and in case before my body decides to surprise me. This will be my first attempt to a healthy living style effort.

The hospital itself was a house of award-winning class, complete sophisticated medical systems, cutting-edge technologies and experienced doctors. I was obliged to go health screening at SDMC not simply because as a Sime Darby staff but I believed in the outstanding healthcare services. Through the experiences of other colleagues, I was told as soon as we walk through the doors, you are no longer a patient. They treat us as a whole person beyond just looking after our illness and after-care. I guess it will not be a mistake once we choose SDMC as our loyal healthcare provider although it can be quite pricey.

As I walk into the reception lounge, I handed in my GL letter and was asked to take a seat. The waiting can be painful at times but I was assured it won’t take that long. Besides, filling up personal information and getting my consent for additional test, my height, weight measurements and eyesight were taken. Then, it all began with blood and urine samples drawn. I was led from one room to another, each for various type of test stated in our health screening programme. All in all, the entire check-up took me about half a day.

At the end of the check-up, the nurse told me that I can collect my results the following day which surprised me. It was quite efficient and I get to pick a consultant to explain my results. I had no idea of all the doctors listed in their list but I chose Dr Ashoka Menon who is a distinguished consultant. The most daunting part of the check-up is the results. A lot of questions went through my head of what will be my state of health. It made me slightly nervous as I have not done any check-up in the span of 3 years!

After what seemed like an eternity, I was called in to see Dr Ashoka who did some check-up on my nervous system and sat down to explain the outcome of my medical check-up. He gave me a clean bill of health although my hemoglobin level is slightly lower than the required range. It was normal for women like me whom menstruate and prescribed me some iron pills for it.

Wow. So glad and relieved that I did it before I reach my thirties and vow to exercise health screening once in every 2 years. And I have since been more conscious and informed about my diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment