Monday, August 6, 2012

Lat Cartoons brings back sweet nostalgia



A week ago, out of the blue I started reminiscing about Lat, perhaps the most loved and famous Malaysian cartoonist. I rediscovered my fascination for Lat collection of comics until recently as I was overwhelmed when I stumble upon the online comic collection. I used to enjoy his comics as a kid and I can still remember the essence of truly Malaysian is depicted in the comic. Reading Lat’s comic was almost like watching a comedy show. I felt myself slipping into a rapturous laughter. It reflects the power of his drawing, and Lat’s artistic skill, that I could feel the nostalgia even though it has been years since I read his comic.

There is something very natural the way Lat renders his story of his early life and it reflects about Malaysian lifestyle. Lat’s oeuvre enfolds the colors of various ethnicities in Malaysia which elucidates personal memories, political ridicule, mirrors of relationship, quintessence of solidarity and perceptions from Malaysians of different walks of life. The simple yet evocative articulation of his cartoons stirs up the camaraderie spirit amongst Malaysian with a blend of side-splitting commentaries, and slapstick cartoon picturization is enough to tickle anyone.
I would say my childhood was filled with myriad memories that can send me into nostalgia easily. And Lat cartoon is one part of it that brings me down the beautiful memory lane. It brought me one step closer as to how the life of Malaysians unfolded growing up in a warm, cozy and affable multiracial community in the sixties and seventies. I can remember one thing that has strong presence in the entire opus, is the simplicity of Malaysian roots. His drawings reflect the growing pains, the ‘kampong’ life, the cultural practices and sardonic dilemma of government policies. In some ways, it elucidates the many nuances of Malaysian life in without overlooking our roots. Lat cartoon will always be a cherished collection for me and my fellow Malaysians. Jest for laughter

1 comment:

  1. me too..... loved and enjoyed his cartoons while i was a teenager. tq for bringing all my memories flooding back

    ReplyDelete