Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Pre-wedding portraiture - a romantic bliss

Of all the things we've planned for our wedding, my husband and I didn't expect that our most priceless moments would be the pre-wedding photo shoot. Before we got engaged in November, neither of us had the idea to go for a pre-wedding shoot. These days, pre-wedding photo shoot marks the start of wedding planning and the celebration coming ahead. It has become a trend for most couple to capture the priceless moments as marriage celebration happens ‘once in a lifetime’. It sounds ridiculous, but in the wedding business, pre-wedding shoots are now seriously making big money. It is a must-have when you get into serious wedding planning. Of course I didn’t want to fall into the mainstream of modern day couples. But my husband told me, “We are only going to go through this day once and through these photographs only we can re-live the day in years to come ”. “I am sure being a new bride, you wouldn’t want to miss these precious moments”. I gave it a second thought and the next thing I knew I had already sign up for the photo shoot.

I remember one of my friend told me that at the end of the pre wedding photo shoot, I will have a collection of pre wedding photos that will become very special to both of us, marking the start of our wedding bash and capturing that special bond. Besides, it was a perfect way for us to get to know each other even closer before the big day. A great deal of fun is promised! Both of us wanted our photo shoot to be chic, simple and memorable. I just don’t fancy flashy concept of backdrop. I had always wanted something very subtle and sweet. Not being particularly well-versed about wedding trends, Raj gave away the task for me to survey and pick the right studio for the portraiture photography. I browsed several bridal studio websites and also never missed the wedding exhibitions to grab a fairly reasonable package (Only after getting to the bottom of the task, that I realize it is not as straightforward as I thought since there are innumerable bridal studios in the city offering various attractive packages which can tempt us). Somehow the package happened to fit my requisite to keep it simple and sweet without exaggeratedly pricey and too many flamboyant outfits. All that matter is YOU. It is our inner persona and how we bring out that shine into the portraiture.
The portraiture didn’t happen immediately since both of us weren’t ready for our portraiture in quintessence. As an enthusiastic bride-to-be, I did some homework on the worldwide web to get an idea of styles of pre-wedding shoots. I was flabbergasted to find cheesy poses, groovy expressions, public display of affection, I vouch you that this is not going to be me at all. I can’t believe myself what I am up too. One thing for sure, I am going to agonize over the chunky accessories, bulky gowns and fake expressions! Ha-ha. We wouldn't have gone out of our way to book this pre-wedding shoot if it hadn't been thrown in with a reasonable deal. But that's the idiotic thing about weddings. You somehow end up doing stuff that's not even YOU.

This photo shoot involves spending the day being photographed in casually yet carefully co-ordinated outfits, gazing into each other's eyes while onlookers keep looking at us. The essence of portraiture is to capture the love-in-the-air and let’s-get-cozy expressions. The atmosphere at a pre-wedding shoot was quite casual, full of fun and laughter. I and Raj chose to have the shoot at Lake Garden KL, a public park that was a privately landscaped garden with a lake, blooming flower garden and fountain so loads of great spots for shooting. As a pre wedding photographer, Jack knows the perfect poses and location for us to capture our moments. Both of us right away could establish the rapport with Jack and that made us comfortable in our shoot which I believe would help us achieve natural looking photos. We sat on a grassy patch in Lake Garden. We were in love embrace in midst of a garden. We sat under a tree. We looked out over the horizon. He looked at me; I looked away into the distance (and vice versa). I cast my glance away from him, and he looked romantically at me. We were meant to gaze into each other's eyes a lot - romantic, yes, but it also makes you laugh in shyness, especially when you both are deliberately doing PDA (something I don’t favor).
Our photographer is pretty funny guy as he made us pose in the right angle as to capture the flawless shots. He made us feel comfortable with his easy-going nature so as to create a good rapport with him the entire day. Our muscles were flexed to the max with his joking skills and perhaps that’s how despite being tired, I was still able to continue the shoot. In the end, we had a laugh playing up the cheesy factor, but it's definitely not something we'll be doing it again. It’s also wonderful to work with thoughtful and discreet photography team from Universal studio. They allow the moments to unfold naturally. Well, I’ll let the film speak more for you. The outdoor shoot was something we wanted to opt for a more informal and fun photo shoot. Weekday was our pick since it will be lesser crowd at the garden. And I must say that Jack is a good photographer whom knows what exactly works best for you. He shows us some great photography tricks which give us more confidence for the rest of the shoot.
In fact, one of the reasons photographers themselves are so keen on the idea is that it lets you, see exactly how much fun photography can be. It's the ultimate ice-breaker where we can get a better idea on how to respond to the camera, what angles do and don't work for you, and how you interact together.
After 2 months of waiting, the much sought after photos from our pre-wedding photograph is here (it arrived about 2 weeks ago). A mere glance across the photo album cover, I was already walking down the memory lane to that beautiful, sunny day, 31st December 2011. A day we both shared and captured our romantic moments prior to the big day.
I am in love with my wedding album and all of the pictures that were taken on the day. I get a bit teary every time I look at the album or the slideshow of the pictures. Everyone loved it and the feedback has been amazing. The whole day was just magical and the pictures which were taken really captured the feeling of the day. I just loved them all! The whole experience from the pre-wedding shoot to the wedding day was fun, relaxing and exciting and I want to thank you all for that rapturous celebration.Our pre-wedding photo shoot was really fun and unforgettable experience but super tiring. I am glad we manage to squeeze a little time to capture these priceless moments.

 While the photos outcome is pretty good but I was looking for more uniqueness and classic shots. I must tell you that I am just not good in poses till our photographer; Jack had slightly tough time to get me picture-perfect for all the shots. We had hilarious time with Jack teasing me for being so ‘plastic’ in my expression while my husband cheekily enjoying me being bullied. The quintessence of the photo shoot was articulated at the end of the day. It brought us even closer, made us appreciate our bond and prepared us for the big event. Probably, I am just not the typical girl that loves the flash and glam life like some do. I am rather the girl-next-door person that loves to be plain and natural. On the other hand, I must admit that my husband looked very natural in his pose and smile away getting accolades from Jack for being easy to shoot. Ha-ha. Even the make-up and outfits did complement to my bona fide personality. Everyone who saw the photos complimented that I look almost natural.
At the end of the pre wedding photo shoot, we both have engraved the beautiful memories in an album that will become very special to both of us for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment