Thursday, February 23, 2012

A Simple Thank You



Just right after the dust from the reception settles and returning from my honeymoon, just when I thought I can take a good rest, I was awaken by a sense of sensibility. After the rush of opening all those beautiful wedding gifts & cash, impressed by the lovely wedding cards, only to realize I need to seriously get crackin’ on the wedding thank you note as a token of appreciation to all those who made their presence on our big day. It took me only a few moments before I knew how important a thank you note should be- for everyone, every gift, every wish, and above all their love. And I must do it.



Certainly, I can’t afford to convey the appreciation to each and everyone personally (with the guests turned up close to 800 pax) or else it will be endless. Not everyone enjoys doing this as it can be mundane and lots of effort involved. But nonetheless it is impolite and poor wedding etiquette not to send out wedding thank you notes. To be frank, I am overwhelmed as much as my hubby when I told him about my idea of sending out our wedding thank you note to our guests. I came up with the idea to personalize a simple yet sweet thank you message fit for all (after all I don’t really fancy gibberish and flashy greetings). Therefore, I decided to spearhead this mini post-wedding project to show our heartfelt appreciation just like their effort for making their presence felt on our big day.

Now, my mother would chide me if she gets to know that I have yet to send out the thank you note. Well, she is famed for her courtliness and do still believe in common courtesies. Of course, I do agree we should be grateful for people’s kind deed. After all, they cost us next to nothing and I like to treat people in the way in which I would like to be treated. In this case it is the humble, or often not so humble, thank you note.


For a moment I thought about weddings that I've attended in the past. Looking back about the time I spent travelling to and from venues. The annual leaves that I have sacrificed. The new outfits. The transport, the petrol, the hotels. I'm not saying I begrudge any of this money or time spent to be with those I care about with all my heart. However, being a wedding guest is not all rainbows and unicorns. I have scrimped and saved so I could attend weddings far and wide. I wanted to be there. The least I expect is a proper thank you...
It is hard being a bride as I am caught up in every directions and time flies like anything. So I didn’t have the time to thank each and every guest properly. This thank you card that I am coming up with will be our gesture to give a heartfelt thanks to everyone who was part of our day.

Although the tradition states that it is okay to send out thank-you cards within a year of getting married, I find this not appropriate since the guests will feel they are belittled and forgotten. It is understandable that upon returning from honeymoon, settling down into married life and getting back to work, is not so easy. But I would prefer to tie up the loose ends within a month or so.
I am busy working out with customizing the design of our thank you note and coming up with the right words to express our gratitude is not always easy. I am keeping it short and simple: KISS rule. Greeting-Appreciation-Regards. That’s it!

No comments:

Post a Comment